Total Pageviews

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Stuff I don't like - London Riots

So I blogged yesterday about stuff I like. I was going to start today with stuff I don't like and of course the hideous London Riots are at the forefront of my mind.

There are awful stories in the news, on Twitter and by word of mouth that are just beyond belief. My dear couisns LL (as in Cool J) and TL live in Clapham Junction and both witnessed horrid scenes last night of looting and mindless violence. TL's lovely fiance Sally even did a ring round all of Da Familia living in London to check we were safe and at home. Frightening, horrifying and very much on our doorstep.


Claaaaahm Junction this morning - photo taken by Cousin LL
Did you see this piece by fellow blogger on The Ledbury being raided in Notting Hill

I woke up fearful to turn on the news to see a) what else had been set on fire while I slept b) whether our errant Prime Minister had actually come back from holiday to lead the country and c) whether Annie's new mini which had been parked in our drive has been vandalised as let's face it, she might never speak to me again if I hadn't managed to protect it. Basically I woke up feeling an awful lot of negative thoughts. Not good for a Tuesday.

And then I checked Twitter. I should have known better than to doubt the spirit of Londoners. Humour prevailed. Good British sterling humour. Not only that but Blitz Spirit appears to be alive and well with #riotcleanup being the top item trending on Twitter. People are getting out on the streets armed with some old Cath Kidston gardening gloves and a stiff broom from the Pound Shop and getting stuck into putting the neighbourhoods back together. This I like. This I like a lot. This is why I love this city.

Some of the best jokes on Twitter: Cameron is going to batter the rioters with a giant toberlone he picker up in duty free (@alancarr); Cameron is just finishing the last few pages of his John Grisham and will be with us shortly (@heawood); I think we should have another royal wedding. That will do the trick. Harry and Pippa, your country needs you (@davidallengreen)

Hope everyone stays safe and my thoughts are with those who have lost businesses and homes in the madness.

Rose x

No comments:

Post a Comment