Total Pageviews

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Correspondence

Whilst I am a big fan of the age of technology, it does mean that very rarely does post pop through my letter box and this makes me sad. Sending post cards, thank you cards and love letters is a dying art but I'm determined to try and keep it going.

Much to Mr Rose's amusement, a few years ago we got some headed note cards printed. I so enjoy writing little notes on them with my fountain pen. 





I realise that the above makes me sound like some kind of nerd from 1914 - but what can I say? Some girls knit, some make their own fascinators and some have devoted themselves to decoration cupcakes with a fervour. I like post. I like sending post and I like receiving post and I think I always will.

I even have a little chest in our bedroom which I call 'Rose's Correspondence Chest' - it is filled with lovely notecards, writing paper, cartridges and a red leather address book which I'm not as good at keeping up to date as I should be. This is the sort of thing which bemuses Mr Rose. When I moved in 3 years ago his flat had basically 500,000 books - on subjects ranging from Hezbollah to the French Revolution, an excellent CD collection including ABBA Gold and The Complete Wagner, some Ikea furniture and the odd framed poster that would look at home on the wall of any self respecting student during the mid 90s.

3 blissful years later and we now have a kitchen full of red polka dot paraphernalia, 3 cake stands, 11 egg cups, a chest full of 500 thread count Egyptian cotton bedlinen, fitted wardrobes, napkins, canapé napkins, bunting, a multi coloured spatula collection and a draw for where the placecards live. Isn't he a lucky boy?

Anyway, back to correspondence.

In an effort to encourage others to take this up and don't let handwriting die out like a lost art - here are a few of my favourite writing related things.


Lesser Spotted Images
What could be more amusing? Imagine getting a postcard of the picturesque villages and towns throughout the world with unusual names? My faves are 'Busty View' and 'Clench' for obvious reasons


So tempted to send this to Grandma

Lazy Oaf Greetings Cards
My faves are the ginger beard  and the cat saying it is going to piss on your bed. What's not to like?

Not on The Highstreet (one of my fave online stores incidentally) has lovely notepaper and crafty stuff for making your own stationery. I think this dinosaur set is the best

Museums and galleries often have excellent cards in the gift shop. The Museum of London is no exception and this card  is perfect for the City gent in your life.




Rapping paper is wrapping paper filled with rap lyrics. I know, huh? V cool. Can't believe I never thought of it.

I hope that has inspired you to get down the the 80 year olds, and get out your fountain pens.

First person to send me a card with the words Slack Bottom written on it wins a kitkat.

Rose x

PS Izzy - it has not gone unnoticed that 6 months ago I sent you a pack of first class stamps and a request that from time to time you drop your big sis a line. Now its not so long since I was an Arts student and I realise this would probably take up most of an afternoon and there are all of those episodes of Neighbours to watch and pints of cider to drink - but be a dear and indulge your big sis. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment