Total Pageviews

Tuesday 20 September 2011

The power of music

Saturday afternoon I left home in bright sunshine with a spring in my step.  I had to be in Marylebone (6 miles away) in 2 hours and had decided to get in a little training walk (I'm sure I've mentioned before that I am doing a half marathon walk in less than 2 weeks! Eek).

I popped my ipod in and set off the 'Exercise' playlist I'd set up.  I had some advice from my friend Kate that she likes to run to the music of women she would like to look like and I thought this was a good strategy so I marched off to Beyonce, Britney, Katy Perry, Pussy Cat Dolls, Rhianna etc..

By the time I was about 2 miles in it had gone from bright sunshine to torrential rain.  Fortunately I had my brand new 'mac in a sac' with me to try out and I can report it does keep one mostly dry. 

By the time I was about 4 miles in I was near Regent's Park and SOAKING.  The phrase 'drowned rat' springs to mind.
I was starting to feel a little wobble in my bottom lip.  Pounding through NW1 on a Saturday afternoon dressed in daft running leggings, bright turquoise trainers and a soggy mac is not my idea of fun.  Even my knickers were damp.  And not in a good way.   I was feeling rather sorry for myself and just starting to plan my escape to the nearest bus route.
 
All of a sudden this song game on.   I am what I am by Gloria Gaynor.  Play it now (it really kicks in about 40 seconds in). 

It was like the equivalent of drinking a litre of lucozade or having a firework shoved up one's butt.  All of a sudden I was off!  Powering through the park, kicking the pigeons out of my way, scaring small children by singing to myself! 

I've since learned that it is a huge gay anthem.  This doesn't surprise me for a minute.  You should see what else is on my most played list on my ipod - Diana Ross, Celine, Barbara, Mariah, Whitney etc etc.  I have long suspected I am a middle aged gay man trapped in the body of 30 year old woman.  The effect this song had on my walking speed kind of confirms the theory.  But what the heck, I am what I ammmmmmmmm! 


Rose x

No comments:

Post a Comment