Total Pageviews

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Estate agents, brasso and make up tutorials

So today I've had not 1 but 2 plaintive requests as to why I haven't blogged for a little while.  Well dear readers it has been an extremely busy week filled with Brasso, popcorn, rugby balls, concealer, a pedometer and meatballs.  Intrigued?  Here is a little of what I've been up to.

Finally, after a very long time of faffing about Mr Rose is selling our flat and it has gone on the market this week.  We have been MANIC making it look spic and span.  He has taken to brassoing every bit of chrome or brass in the flat and is found with a duster feverishly in hand and a housewifery question on his lips when I walk through the front door. 



Recent examples have included 'Rose, do you think I should use white spirit to get rid of the white paint blob on the black paint on the front door?'..  'Rose, why does the plughole not shine when I've poured viakal on it for 45 mins?'… 'Rose, what do you think I should use to clean the lightswitches?' and other important questions.  So it is a good thing we have had a house guest for the last week or so - Cousin LL is having her bathroom re-done and therefore cannot stomach the idea of living in a house with no flushing loo (and who can blame her) so we have a resident expert in householding.  Obviously, she made sure the mattress protector had arrived before she did..

I haven't been able to sleep well at night because I've been having arguments with Estate Agents in my head ("YOU ARE A TOTAL BUNCH OF MONKEYS! IF I WAS AT WORK AND SENT OUT SOMETHING A CLIENT HADN'T APPROVED THEN I WOULD BE SACKED.  SACKED I TELL YOU!" and "WHY DID I BOTHER TAKING TIME OFF WORK TO GO THROUGH THE PHOTOGRAPHS WE WANTED PUT ON OUR PARTICULARS FOR YOU TO THEN IGNORE EVERYTHING I SAID AND PUBLISH THE WRONG PHOTOGRAPHS???" etc etc). 

So to calm myself I've been popping my headphones in and watching on my iPhone the brilliant make up tutorials of Sali Hughes.  Now, I like to think that in a different life I might have been a make up artist.  I like to think that I know loads about make up and I have one of the biggest and best collections of anyone I know.  I like to think that I could do a passable makeover on most people and that really, no one would be better at doing my make up than me. I can recognise nail varnish by its brand at 20 paces and could write a dissertation on the best ways to make green eyes look greener (Clarins plum eyeliner, if you are wondering with a Revlon eyeshadow in rust).  So when Sali started doing the columns and videos I read them with interest but also a feeling that these columns were perhaps for the sort of girls that don’t already know that Laura Mercier makes the best tinted moisturiser in the world and that Bobbi Brown's lipstick in Nude is the best shade for flattering all skin tones. 



The columns are great and make brilliant reading - short and snappy - she takes a different subject each week like cleansing wipes, red lipstick or make up brushes.  But what is truly great is the video tutorial she does that goes with it.  She has a very calm manner, she never patronises and has loads of make up artist tips. I watched this one at about 2am last night when I was lying awake and Mr Rose was snoring away -  and even though today I look at worst half dead and at best ropey, I used her technique to cover my bags and dark circles and actually I think I look alright.  And I have long held the theory that if you look awake and sprightly then it helps you feel awake and sprightly. 

So get yourselves over to the Guardian website and check out all her videos.  For even the most smug make up fiends. 

You'll be glad you did.  Apart from the men reading this.  Sorry lads.  I feel a bit bad about luring you in with promise of a rugby related post.  Next time, boys. Next time. 

Rose x

1 comment:

  1. Went out to buy LM tinted moistuiser and nude lipstick. Both out of stock! Maybe a rush after your blog! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete