Total Pageviews

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Every gang needs a club house

When I was about 6 years old, the rents took Annie and I (Izzy was not yet born, not left at home) on an old fashioned family holiday to the Isle of Wight.  I remember the whole trip very fondly.  Probably more fondly than Annie, who at 3 years old was persuaded to alert the hotel receptionist when my tooth fell out so they could get my parents out of the hotel dining room and to come and help my dire medical situation. 

One day we had a day trip to a theme park on the island, and my dad and I went on one of those flight simulator rides.

I've managed to find a picture of it - it is exactly how I remember.  God bless Google. 





I remember the whole episode being utterly thrilling, but best of all was the sticker I was given as I darted off the ride, leaving my green looking dad trailing behind. 
It said, simply, the name of the ride - SUPER X.  It was a big glossy thick sticker and I kept it clutched in my paws all day long. 

I knew exactly what to do with it. 

When we were kids, Cousin LL, Cousin TL, Annie and I had a gang.  Cousin LL was in charge and bossed us all around.  Obviously.  I was the creative brains of the gang and bossed the younger ones around.  Cousin TL was the muscle - very useful if you needed to dig a pond or get someone to dress up as a doctor.  Annie was in charge of props and toys.  We spent our summers charging around gardens, building dens, fishing in streams and creating mysteries that needed solving (who can forget the case of the Chicken Skull Mystery, Dorset,  July 1988?).   In winter, we mostly got under our parents' feet, watched MGM musicals, acted out MGM musicals and chucked bits of monopoly at each other. 

Upstairs in our house was a cupboard in the eaves, small enough that only children under 10 years of age could get in, but plenty big enough for the 4 of us. 
As soon as we got home from the Isle of Wight, I headed upstairs, stuck that sticker on the door and hey presto - the Super X Club was born. 

From that moment on, the 4 of us were The Super X Club.  A gang can be great fun, but till it has a club house, it is nothing.  Incidentally, my parents still call that cupboard the Super X Club. 

So recently the 4 of us needed to meet up, just us, not plus 1s or anyone else for a Business Meeting.  You see, in March we are all going en masse, to a village in Somerset for some very jolly times over a long weekend to celebrate the Matriarch's birthdays.  This year it is a special birthday.  (Yes, 39 again). 

I suggested we meet at Bill's in Covent Garden, a fantastic cafĂ© / restaurant you might never come across as it is tucked down a side street.  Here is a pic of the aperitif - blackberry and banana smoothie. 



It is utterly charming, totally packed for brunch but worth the wait. 


We all agreed, we had found our new club house.  As soon as Izzy hot foots it to the big smoke, that is where we will take her for her initation ceremony..

We had a great and productive time and are all very excited about giving the Matriarchs a wonderful fun weekend, as you can see - they have given us many many happy times so it is lovely to be able to repay them.  I urge you all to go next time you need somewhere decent to eat in central London. 


Rose
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment