Total Pageviews

Friday 3 August 2012

The Olympics of my life

The Olympics of my life.

A bit like knowing where you were when 9/11 happened I always think that the Olympics provide a snapshot in the memory of where one was.

Here are mine:

In 1992 I passed the entrance exam to my rather academic senior school.  My parents were so gobsmacked / delighted I was given an Atlanta 1996 sweatshirt as reward and wore it with pride for years and years.

2000 was Sydney.  It made me like the look of Australia so much I decided to go travelling there after uni

2004 was Athens. I'd been living in London a year and next door to Cousin LL.  Her bday is in August and I threw her a surprise Olympics themed birthday party complete with golden laurels, hummus and cardboard javelins to throw around.  I'll never forget the look on her face when we all jumped out and surprised her.

2008 was Beijing.  I was living with my dear friend Scarlett in Camden.  We went from having no interest in sport to being Olympics obsessed for 2 weeks.  We stocked up on Pinot Grigio and cheerios (COS THEY LOOK LIKE OLYMPIC RINGS!!!) and barely left the flat for 2 weeks.  Our preferred sport was the synchronised diving – two divers called Ping and Pong were our favourites.

2012 is London.  And aren't we doing well?  On the day the London 2012 Olympics opened we got the keys to our new house.  We sometimes refer to it as the Olympic House.  After 3 years of talking about it, saving up, planning and dreaming we are finally there.  And we couldn't be happier.  An Olympics I shall never, ever forget. 

Rose xx




No comments:

Post a Comment